Monday, January 5, 2009

Can I still buy a new computer with Windows XP?

I get asked this question from time to time, and the answer is YES, you can. I have only done this with Dell but a while back other manufacturers were doing the same thing, and probably still are.

Here is an exchange of 3 e-mails with a customer starting with his first inquiry:





Customer inquiry


 


We were here to see xxxxxxx’s computer crash.  I went on Dell's website and found one I like but I have questions that the chat room person was vague about.  First, I don't want Vista and have a startup disk for XP on my old Dell.  If I erased the C drive on the new computer could I install the XP program?  Would the drivers work? Would I have to buy a new XP disks?  Their Vista comes with a Service Pack 1.  Could that have solved the incompatability with older programs?


 


My reply


 


If you will go to Dell.com and enter the section called “SMALL & MEDIUM BUSINESS”, almost immediately you will be presented with the $99 option to have Windows XP installed on your new machine. The Vostro line offered there is a fine choice. I would recommend doing this – for you. Not only does your machine come with XP installed, but you also get a Vista license and install DVDs, so should you ever opt for Vista, you have it.


 


This summer I ordered a laptop for xxxxxx xxxxxx  in this way, and it worked fine and the last I heard she is very happy with her machine. Naturally it came configured for Vista, meaning it had lots of RAM and a large HDD, all good things for you too. I do not believe that we were ever asked to name the business for which we were ordering, but just put in her name. If you have to have a business name (now), you already have a few of them!


 


I would not recommend the method you proposed of using an old Windows XP installation disk precisely for the reason you mentioned: drivers. You would have to go to dell.com and try to find drivers for XP for the new hardware. That could prove to be a very tough job. My way you get a fine XP system already installed and tested, and all for only $99. It would take you many, many frustrating hours to get the same if you elected to try yourself. You don’t want to do this for a new machine.


 



As always, get the fastest processor money will allow, get at least 2GB of RAM, and get the largest HDD you can afford. I wouldn’t worry too much about the size of the HDD since I recommend an external drive anyway for long-term backup storage. These can be 1TB and moved from machine to machine.

 


Hope this helps?


 


His reply to me after a week or so


 


We did buy a powerful Dell Vostro 420.  It comes with XP and an optional change to Vista.  I read that Microsoft is coming out with Windows 7 later this year.  Thank you for your consultation.




Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment