Friday, May 21, 2010

Stuck on Vista?

If you have Vista running on your machine and you don't like it, there are two obvious paths you can take to get rid of it: you can upgrade to Windows 7 if possible or you can install Windows XP.

If you follow this blog, you know that I am very happy with Windows 7 on one of my laptops. I upgraded it from Windows Vista. You also know that Microsoft will support Windows XP until 2014. So let's take a look at the 2 options.

1) The first thing I'd recommend is to download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It's from Microsoft and it is free. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx. Download it and run it and see what it has to say about your machine. If it seems like you get good news and your machine can run Windows 7, first make sure you have at least 2 GB of RAM and, if you do, I recommend you purchase Windows 7 Home Premium. This is what I did and I LOVE it. I did not have 2 GB of RAM, so I purchased a second GB and, although I'd probably recommend 4 GB for anyone, my machine runs just fine for me with 2 GB, so maybe yours will too.

2) If the upgrade advisor does not give you good news about the possibility of upgrading to Windows 7, keep in mind that you can always install Windows XP. Do you have a Windows XP installation CD that came with the machine?Some did just as a backup. If not, do you have an old one from a prior machine that might work on this Vista machine? That would be ideal. If you don't have one, you may be able to buy a copy on Ebay or from a friend or a local computer shop. Ask around. You would likely be a lot happier with XP on your Vista machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment