Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Windows Updates and MSRT

I noticed that I had 8 updates applied to my system overnight, and included was the monthly version of Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT). Windows Update is a little different in Windows 7. It has a new look and is done outside of Internet Explorer. This is what my history looks like for last night (click for larger image):


As has become my custom, I ran a standalone Full Scan of MSRT. You can do this by clicking on START/RUN/MRT/OK. (yes, MRT is correct. Don't ask me why!)

Be sure that the MSRT window indicates that it is the September 2010 version (in the upper right corner of the window). My full scan ran for over 3 hours, but didn't keep me from running other things and I feel good afterwards for having run it. I consider it a worthwhile monthly exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment