Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Monday morning housecleaning

Lately I have tried to develop a routine of doing a little housecleaning on my laptop every Monday morning. I run a selection of tools including CCleaner, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or SuperAntispyware (alternating weeks), and Tune-up Utilities (Registry Cleaner, 1-Click Maintenance,  Gain Disk Space, and Configure System Startup).

The only program I have in my system startup list is Microsoft Security Essentials. The reason I look at this every week is that some programs (Adobe Reader & Java) seem to reinsert their update managers in the list on a regular basis. I have MSE set up to run a full scan every night around midnight.

Then, once a month, right after seeing that there is a new MVPS HOSTS file available, I run Spybot S&D and then install the HOSTS file.

It is important to keep all of these programs up to date, so before I run any of them I check for the latest updates just to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment