Monday, April 28, 2008

8GB Flash Drive

A while ago I wrote here about my new 4GB Sandisk Micro Cruzer flash drive. I had purchased it at Costco for $28, a price that I thought was just terrific. These devices are getting less expensive, like so many other items in our electronic world as competition and breakthroughs in technology drive the prices down.

A few weeks ago I loaned my 4GB drive to a friend in need. I didn't expect to get it back and, in fact, told her she could keep it.

This weekend I went to Costco to replace it, but was disappointed to find that the product was no longer being carried by Costco, at least not in my local store. Much to my surprise, however, they had on display an 8GB Sandisk Micro Cruzer. The price: $48!

I have no real need for an 8GB capacity, but if I thought the 4GB drive was affordable, then this was even better, and I bought it. This is truly an amazing capacity at a great price, and I have no doubts that the capacity/price ratio for these devices will continue to improve.

I got home, went to the Sandisk web site and downloaded the U3 Removal Tool (see my April 17 post), and in less than a minute I had a full 8GB of flash memory available for my use.

I must read up on the new feature in Windows Vista that will use an empty flash drive as an extension of RAM. Lord knows that Vista can use all the help it can get in that regard, and it will be interesting to see if I observe any boost in speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment