Wednesday, October 29, 2008

PC Security

It seems strange to be repeating a post I just wrote two weeks ago, but in these past two weeks I have been very busy fighting fires on customer machines with serious problems. As said earlier, just because you are not paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you! There are lots of bad guys out there just looking for vulnerable systems. Unfortunately, several of you know exactly what I mean.

Once again, the best defense is a good offense. You have to take action to protect your systems. I use and recommend all 6 of these, and they are all absolutely free:

CCleaner

AVG Free Anti-virus

Spybot

Windows Defender

Hosts File found at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

AdAware

These help me to keep my systems running virus-free and spyware-free. In spite of what I said on October 14 about AdAware, I still keep it on my systems and will run it periodically.

Keep in mind that these programs have versions, and you may not have the latest. Examples, Spybot is Version 1.60, Adaware is AdAware 2008 7.1.0.8, and so on. Check yours and make sure you have the latest, as well as all updates to the latest versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment