Friday, June 25, 2010

Farewell desktop?

I never thought I'd be saying this, but in preparing for our move I packed up my old and trusty IBM desktop PC. In doing so, I realized how little I have used it lately, and how dependent I have become on my laptop instead. I may never unpack the old desktop and bring it up to date and begin using it again. I'm not sure, but I have to say that I have become accustomed to using a laptop as a fulltime PC. I have two Acer laptops and they have been incredibly reliable. One is W7 (upgraded from Vista) and the other is a good old XP machine. With these 2 I can service most all of my customers' needs, and see little need for my desktop. One thing I liked about the desktop was high capacity hard drive space. Generally speaking, you can grow your desktop by adding an additional drive or by making an image copy and then installing a high capacity drive. This is not an easy thing to do with a laptop, but I find my external 1TB Western Digital MyBook satisfies my demand for growing disk space.

So it remains to be seen, but for now I think there is a good possibility I may be wishing my desktop RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment