Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How to Switch from a PC to a Mac

As reported here a little more than a year ago, I purchased a MacBook Pro 17" laptop. It sits around virtually unused. I have no calls from customers looking for support, either because they don't need any (can Macs be THAT good?) or because they wouldn't think to call a "PC Doctor" when they have issues with a Mac. Well, here's a confession: I need help with my Mac. No, as far as I know there is nothing wrong with my new Mac, it's a user issue.

To show that I am serious about using this machine, I recently purchased Microsoft's Office for Mac 2011. I had figured from the start that this was a necessary prerequisite for me to ever get serious about using a Mac as my primary computer. I also intend to buy, shortly, the new iLife product which includes a newer and enhanced version of iPhoto. I had heard so much about iPhoto and really wanted to use it to organize and edit my large library of photos. I began using a digital camera in 2001 (thanks to my 4 sons) and have accumulated nearly 40,000 photos, not one of which I would ever want to lose.

And now that my wife and I are about to move into our new home outside of Boston, I will have room to set up my MacBook in a place where it may well become my new "desktop" computer. Up to now, since moving from Vermont, we haven't had the space in our tiny rental home in Wayland. At least, that is my plan, and time will tell how well this will work out.

I will continue to use my Windows XP and Windows 7 laptops to make sure I stay current and can address any PC problems that may come up. I have yet to decide if I will resurrect my good old desktop machine, after we retrieve it and 99% of our home furnishings from a Waltham storage unit.

So this article from today's pcmag.com website is very timely indeed for me. If any of you has a desire to learn more about the world of Macs, I think you will find this a very helpful article, written for us PC users.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever learn iPhoto? It's such an awesome program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never did. I purchased iLife 2011 and it includes the new iPhoto. I installed the package but never used it. My MacBook Pro 17" sits in a closet unused. This is not something I am proud of, but it is true.

    ReplyDelete