Friday, January 14, 2011

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) Version 2.0

Microsoft Security Essentials or MSE Version 2.0 is now available. I have installed it on my everyday laptop. As my readers know, MSE is Microsoft's free anti-virus program. As my readers also know, I was an outspoken advocate for AVG for many years, but I have left AVG and migrated to MSE. I got tired of AVG's marketing ploys, constantly pushing their fee product and, in fact, they pushed so hard that some of my customers actually thought they had to upgrade and did so. Sad, but one more reason to check this blog once in a while!

I believe MSE to be a superior product all around when compared to other free anti-virus products. The principal reason I believe this is because Microsoft, more than anyone else, has the ability and knowledge to integrate their product with their own operating systems.

For those of you currently using MSE Version 1, Version 2 will be rolled out over time through Automatic Updates, but you don't have to wait for that and can download it and install it just as you did Version 1. And, you will NOT have to uninstall Version 1. Microsoft will take care of that for you as a part of the Version 2 installation procedure. You can get it, as I did, here: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/.

I encourage you to do so, and if you do not already use MSE, I recommend it to you without reservation. If you have another anti-virus you will need to uninstall it first.

Enough from me, or perhaps too much, but I am excited about this new version. You can read a real pro's review of MSE Version 2.0 online. Fred Langa's Beefing up Microsoft Security Essentials
will lay out the technical details for you. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment