Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Mission Accomplished!

On June 23 I wrote "I am planning to replace the 80GB drive with the 250GB drive. To do this I will need to make an exact copy of my current C drive on the external 250GB drive. For this I will use Norton Ghost. After making the copy, I’ll physically replace the 80GB drive with the 250GB drive and hope I can then reboot my machine from the new internal 250GB drive. I will hold onto the 80GB drive, probably inserting it into the enclosure now housing the 250GB drive. The 80GB drive will be a good place to carry another backup copy of MY DOCUMENTS (all of my data)."

Two days ago I completed this task, though not exactly the way I had planned. Not surprisingly, Norton Ghost did not do the job for me. I have become accustomed to being disappointed with Symantec products over the years, and Norton Ghost didn't let me down! It did not perform as advertised, and after two days on a Norton Ghost  forum where the best Norton Ghost minds tried their best to help me, I decided to download and try Acronis True Image Home Version 11.0. This program was hyped as one which would do exactly what I wanted to do, and was available on a 15 day free trial. It did the job very quickly (15 minutes) and smoothly and had an intuitive user interface, one even I could understand (unlike Norton Ghost).

So now I have my 250GB drive as my internal system drive and my 1TB drive as my external drive for backups and for my ever-increasing libraries of videos, music, and photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment