Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Windows XP SP3

I have finally gotten around to installing Windows XP SP3. I just installed it on my Acer TravelMate 4220 laptop. It installed without any hitches, and the system seems to be running fine. I imagine this will be the last service pack for XP, support for which will end in 2014. While I expect XP to last just fine until then, the real trick will most likely be keeping the hardware going that long!

I have not heard of any problems installing XP SP3 since its early days when there was a problem on HP PCs that had AMD microprocessors. If I had one of those machines now, I'd check the HP web site to make sure there are no remaining issues before I installed SP3.

I still see no reason for installing Internet Explorer 7 or subsequent releases. I am happy with Mozilla's Firefox for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment