Monday, October 5, 2009

Buying a new PC?

I think I might have addressed this subject not too long ago, but I have some new information to share with you, and mind you this is just my opinion!

This is a terrible time to have to buy a new PC because of the near imminent release of Windows 7 on October 22. I have recommended that you defer your purchase decision so that you wouldn't have to buy a Vista machine. I find likers of Vista are few and far between! It's been a very bad chapter in the evolution of Microsoft's operating systems.

The new news is that I have been reading a lot about Windows 7 experiences on the trade web sites, and the reports are almost all good. Apparently Microsoft has done a good job of addressing the weaknesses in Vista and corrected them in Windows 7. Windows 7 is also apparently faster than Vista, but that's not saying much!

If I really had to buy a new PC now or soon, I'd still delay for some time, like several months if I could, and then go ahead and buy a machine with Windows 7 on it.

For those of you who would rather not take the plunge this early in the lifecycle of Windows 7, and who can blame you, then take a look at manufacturer web sites for reconditioned machines. The bigger companies like Dell and HP, and I am sure most of the others as well, sell reconditioned machines from their web sites.

And don't overlook the possibility of finally switching to a Mac or iMac or other Apple machines. You know your kids are telling you to go ahead and do that, so maybe you can humor them, do it, and get your kids to support your new machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment