Thursday, February 4, 2010

Office Software Alternatives

I am writing in response to a reader's request to discuss this topic. Specifically, the discussion revolves around Microsoft (MS) Office 2003, MS Office 2007, and Open Office (http://about.openoffice.org/). In this case, the writer has MS Office 2003. Most people, I find, have the Student and Home Edition of MS Office 2003. This is/was a fee product ans most users got it to have MS Word and MS Excel.

If I had MS Office 2003 and Windows XP in place, and I had no plans to go out and get a new computer, I would stick with 2003 and XP. Remember, Windows XP will be supported through 2014, and Office 2003 should work just as well until that time. There is no reason you need to upgrade or change. Chances are good that Word & Excel are working well now, are compatible with the new version of MS Office 2007, and there is a free program from Microsoft that will let you read MS Word 2007 documents (Exchanging files between previous releases of Microsoft Office and the 2007 Microsoft Office release).

If I did not have Office 2003 but needed an office package, I would recommend Open Office and, if necessary, the above referenced compatibility pack.

4 comments:

  1. Tom, Thanks for the great info and advice. BTW, I had to buy Student & Home Edition of Office 2003 when I bought my computer in 2006; and I had to install the Compatibility Pack a few months ago so I could read a .DOCX (Office 2007) file. When I buy a new computer, maybe next year, I think I will migrate to Open Office.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also try SSuite Office for a free office suite. They have a whole range of office suites that are free for download.

    Their software also don't need to run on Java or .NET, like so many open source office suites, so it makes their software very small and efficient.

    You may try these links for more info:

    http://www.ssuitesoft.com/index.htm
    or
    http://www.ssuitesoft.com/ssuiteexcalibur.htm
    or
    http://ssuite5element.webs.com/thefifthelement.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have published the above comment as is. I do not know anything about this software, from Van Loo Software, and so make no recommendation for it. I also don't know who the post author "Georgie Pie" is. I publish the post because the referenced product appears to be legitimate and could be a product that would work for you.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete