Wednesday, June 16, 2010

MSRT Follow-up

This post is a follow-up to my June 9 post about Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT). MSRT is a program distributed monthly, with updates, from Microsoft through their Automatic Updates.

I have long recommended that you should manually run a Full Scan each month with this tool because I had a suspicion that by default the program was run with a Quick Scan in the background as a part of the monthly distribution.

It turns out I was correct. Microsoft will have MSRT only run a Quick Scan, so my recommendation to manually run a full scan stands.

However, the method I recommended was the long way around the barn. After you run the monthly updates from Microsoft, you can start MSRT by simply clicking on START/RUN and enter MRT and click OKAY. Go ahead and try it now. MSRT will start up. Take note of the date up at the top of the MSRT window that opens up. It should say June 2010 at this point in time.Next month it should say July 2010, etc.

Then start a full scan. Do this each month for a little bit of extra and free security for your system.

No comments:

Post a Comment