Thursday, May 26, 2011

Are Macs really virus-free?

This is an excellent article from the Kim Komando web site. As reported here over a year ago, I own an Apple MacBook Pro 17". I will now be looking at security software for it! (I hadn't until now.)

Are Macs really virus-free? 

"Q. I received a warning message when I was surfing the Web the other day. It said that there are infected files on my machine. It told me to install a program called MacDefender. Is this a real program? I use a Mac, which is immune to viruses.-Charles from Abingdon, VA, listens to my national radio show on WFHG 92.7 FM

A. For years, Mac owners have watched Windows users struggle with viruses and spyware. Mac owners laughed at Windows users. Apple even released commercials to this effect. You see, Macs were free from the malware, spyware and viruses that have plagued Windows users.

Note that I used past tense. Those days are over. If you own a Mac, you are now being targeted by the online miscreants and criminals.

There is no magical feature that makes Macs impervious to online threats."

No comments:

Post a Comment