Thursday, December 5, 2013

I’m not sure Microsoft appreciates how much some users hate Windows 8

"I’m not sure Microsoft appreciates how much some users hate Windows 8" is the title of an online opinion piece that can be fond here: http://bgr.com/2013/12/04/windows-8-hatred-explained/

When I came upon this paragraph, I laughed out loud: "Take two of my friends who recently made the upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7. Upon installing the software, one of them said that “the only way they could make it worse is if the right mouse click [would] be replaced by smashing your right thumb with a hammer.” Another one simply said that he “took my CPU back because of that crap” and switched back to Windows 7."

For the record, I am neither a lover nor a hater of Windows 8 after my first few days on my new PC which came with Windows 8 (not Windows 8.1).  Re-confirming my plan I am going to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after I get a little more experience.

What I have come to realize so far is that most of the new stuff in W8 has to do with the user interface. MOST of what we had gotten used to is still there, typically down a level or two. However, what irks the most is that the old "START/ALL PROGRAMS" method we all got so used to does not seem to have an acceptable replacement, and the old way is definitely gone and I have not figured out a way to get to the old familiar list. Instead, this, which I consider a major disppointment at best, is the replacement for START/ALL PROGRAMS:

 

This new ALL PROGRAMS list goes on and on to the right, and since I have a touch screen, I can easily scroll to the right with a simple swipe of my index finger.

So, bottom line, I like what I see but one must be prepared for some disappointments in the new user interface, especially after I/we have spent so many years getting used to and accepting of the old versions of Windows.

Stay tuned for more updates as I move forward with my W8 experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment