Saturday, December 14, 2013

Microsoft likely to bring back Start menu in future Windows update

Well, this is really good news. I hope it's true. I am doing well with my new laptop running Windows 8 (I will upgrade to Windows 8.1 after a few more weeks of hands-on learning. I want to be able to support Windows 8 clients as well as Windows 8.1 clients.)

The traditional Start Menu is sorely missed by me, and I have yet to find a suitable replacement. So far I am using work-arounds to get the results I desire and can be happy with. More on that as I gain further knowledge of exactly how Windows 8 differs from earlier Windows products. That is an ongoing process.

I found this article on computerworld.com.

"Computerworld - Microsoft will bring back the Start menu to Windows 8 and let users run "Metro" apps inside windows on the desktop, restoring traditional elements to its newest operating system, according to a report by a long-time Microsoft watcher.

Paul Thurrott, citing anonymous sources, claimed Monday that the next update for Windows, which other pundits have pegged for the spring of 2015, will offer options for both a Start menu and on-desktop execution of the touch-centric "Modern," nee "Metro," apps.

In October, Microsoft restored a pseudo-Start button in Windows 8.1, and gave users the option of circumventing the tile-style Start screen by booting directly to the conventional desktop. However, it declined to reinstate a Start menu.

But neither of the alleged future additions will be, well, new: Users have been able to restore the Start menu and run windowed Metro apps for months."

No comments:

Post a Comment