Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I hate Google Chrome

I do not understand the fascination with Google Chrome, Google's attempt to replace Firefox and Internet Explorer as our browser of choice.

Let me say up front that I hate Google Chrome.

It is not just that I don't want Google to know everything I do on my computer. They pretty much own me already, and I am okay with that. I was an early Gmail user. I have several Google blogs. I do recognize Google as the best search engine, and on and on.

Why do I dislike Google's Chrome browser so much?

It's a very small thing. I installed Chrome versions right from the start, version after version, but never found the one feature, available in all other browsers, that I wanted so badly.

What is that feature? It is a simple thing.

Firefox and Internet Explorer allow their users to display a list of their Favorites (IE) or Bookmarks (Firefox) down the left side of the browser window.

Chrome has NEVER offered that simple feature and still does not.

I, along with thousands of others, begged Google to include this bread and butter feature, standard in all other browsers, in online forums or fora if you prefer. The response from Google - none at all.

I think that many of you whose homes I visit or whose laptops get dropped off at my house, have Google Chrome because of the fact that - if you are not careful - you will get it when you download CCleaner, one of the best free little programs I have ever seen. I recommend it to all of you and you should use it weekly.

When you download CCleaner and probably other programs as well, you may see a window offering a download of Google Chrome, and there is ALREADY a check mark in the box that says yes to download it.

Or maybe you are on the google.com web site and there is that very annoying download Google Chrome in the upper right hand corner.

Read the displays. Don't accept a check mark that was put in the box for you. UNCHECK IT! Don't ever click on an icon to download it.

There is nothing to be gained from using it. Most people I visit try to use it because it is there and this leads to much confusion on their parts.

The bottom line is that Google Chrome offers nothing that Firefox and Internet Explorer don't.


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree with you it is utterly useless and how many times I have forgotten to uncheck the box, grrr it is a horrid program and does nasty things to your computer.

    ReplyDelete