Friday, June 6, 2008

AVG

I had been running AVG Version 8, without the Link Scanner, for about 3 weeks, and had no issues with it. I could tell it was larger and less nimble than its predecessor, Version 7.5. The full system scan, run daily at 5 AM, was taking over 2 hours, vs. just around 1.5 hours on Version 7.5. For this reason and also thinking of all of you who may read this blog and are running version 7.5, I decided to go back to Version 7.5.

So this morning I uninstalled version 8, telling it to keep all of my settings (hoping that 7.5 might pick them up - it didn't!), and went to http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/ where I downloaded the last 7.5 version.

I installed 7.5 and it went smoothly as usual. I checked for updates and found one. I changed my schedule settings and also the e-mail settings to remove the e-mail certification, and am back in business. If the AVG Free Forum is correct, I will continue to get updates through 12/31/2008. I will post again in a couple of days to update this status.

If you are one of those who like to have the latest and greatest, than go right ahead and install Version 8. As I said I had no problems with it, although I ran it without the Link Scanner feature. It is bigger and a little slower, and although I did not measure it, I am sure it uses more system resources that version 7.5.

I intend to stay on 7.5 on my main machine (a desktop), and do some more testing with version 8 on my laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment