Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No e-mail prgram included in Windows 7

From Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal:


Q: I have just bought a new computer with Windows 7, and not only can’t I download Outlook Express, I can’t even find it. Is it there? Where?

A: Sadly, Microsoft killed Outlook Express—its free, fast and simple Windows email program—long before Windows 7 came out. In Vista, it was replaced by something called Windows Mail. Now, there’s no email program at all built into Windows 7, unless a PC maker chooses to include one. But Microsoft offers for download a free product called Windows Live Email that is the latest successor to Outlook Express. You can get it, alone or as part of a suite of free “Essentials” programs that used to be routinely part of Windows, at: windowslive.com/desktop.

4 comments:

  1. How about Thunderbird from Google? Do you have commments or recommendations? I used it once, only thing I did not like was the reply format, it placed my reply at the bottom of the original message.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thunderbird from Mozilla, the makers of Firefox, is a fine product that works well. I believe Outlook, a part of MS Office Professional, is a better choie and the one I would use, but I realize not everyone has Outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/FX102464501033.aspx and seethat Microsoft Outlook can be purchased separately for $109.95, maybe cheaper if one is affiliated with an educational institution. I have used Outlook for years. I have also sed Outlook Express and Thunderbird. Outlook Express is no longer available but Thunderbird is and it is free. Windows Mail, the Outlook Express replacement in Vista, can be downloaded separately at no charge at http://download.live.com/wlmail I believe you'll find it called Windows Live Mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, Thanks for your info and correction - Thunderbird is from Mozilla, I know that, must have had brain-freeze yesterday!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete