Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Internet Explorer Version 8

A reader writes:

"Tom, Awhile back you asked for suggestions for topics you could write about in your blog. How about Internet Explorer v8? I exclusively use Firefox. I have IE v6 on my computer because I recall you told us to NOT install v7 nor v8. Microsoft Updates uses IE and sometimes I use IE to verify some strange web page appearance in Firefox. Should I install v8, to be up-to-date, even though I rarely use it?"

My reply:

Internet Explorer Version 7 was fraught with problems and vulnerabilities. On many of your machines I personally uninstalled V7. When one uninstalls V7, one is left with V6 in place. On my Windows XP laptop I still also have V6 installed, having decided to stay away from V7 & also V8.

However, things have changed now. V7 never got much better, but V8, although shaky at start, is now the most stable and secure version available.One other factor: Microsoft has announced reduction in support of V6, so now is a good time to upgrade to V8. Keep in mind that V8 is the current version and is the one that attracts most virus writers and system atackers.

But, Microsoft and Windows operating systems still rely on some of the settings in IE for systemwide operations, so the settings in IE are important and, for the moment, one can't run without having IE installed. In the best world, IE would be completely optional and you wouldn't have to have it installed at all.

How can you tell which version you have installed? Start IE, click on Help, and then About Internet Explorer.

Bottom line recommendation: install V8 but don't use it except when you have to do so (there are still some web sites that require IE). I use and recommend Firefox. You can download IE8 at microsoft.com.

1 comment:

  1. Tom, Thanks for the great explanation and advise. I have successfully installed IE v8.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete