Friday, March 19, 2010

Online Backup Services

I received the e-mail below yesterday from my service provider, Comcast. It has motivated me to write this blog post. I have been putting it off for some time now. You can click on this "photo" to enlarge it.


Backing up your data is critical. No one of us wants to ever lose those family pictures or videos. None of us wants to lose our music libraries or our personal documents. If you are a small business, you cannot afford to lose all of those important business documents. I'm afraid the IRS just wouldn't understand!


So how do YOU back up your data (and I sincerely hope you do)?

There are several ways you could. Among these are:

1) Copying to your own hard drive, which is hardly effective should your hard drive fail.

2) Copying to your own external hard drive. This is what I have chosen to do. I am a control freak and want to be fully responsible for my own data and be fully aware of exactly what I have backed up and where it is. I also don't want to spend money for this service. Finally, there is a downside to this method, and it's a big one. If the external drive is kept within your home, the same home that houses your PC and all of its data, then both could be lost in the same physical event (flood, fire, theft, etc.). So I have chosen to keep my external drive in a location apart from my main computer, the one I am sure contains all of my data. I make a copy of "My Documents" once a quarter, so my method is not perfect. I could lose data from the current quarter before it's backed up.

3) You could subscribe to a service that automatically backs up all of your data once to their own remote hard drives, and thereafter will make backup copies of all added files and new versions of existing files. This is probably the safest option. All of your data is backed up and easily retrievable, your data is encrypted and stored at the service provider's site, and since it's a constant, you do not risk losing data from the recent quarter as explained in number 2 above. However, these services cost money, so you have to weigh the cost vs. the benefit before deciding. The 2GB of free storage Comcast is offering me (see above) is not very much considering "My Documents" now amount to over 80GB. So I'd have to read their fine print to see how much their service would cost.

Finlly, PC World has provided an evaluation of some of the services that will back up your data for you on their own hard drives. You can see what they have to say at The Best Online Backup Services
I caution you, however, that this report is nearly 2 years old, so you might want to do some more research on your own should you wish to evaluate this backup option.

Here is a second review, dated October, 2009, of three backup service offerings. It's from consumersearch.com. Online Backup Services: Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment