Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tips on using free software

From time to time I like to remind my readers that this blog is just one man's opinion. Many of you who know me value my opinion, and I appreciate that. However, in this blog from now on, and only once in a while, I will post something I'll refer to as a "Guest Post". This is the first of such posts. The blog post below comes from the blog of Lisa Hendrickson, and her blog can be found at http://www.callthatgirl.biz/

I like to view Lisa's blog, named "Call That Girl" several times a week. I can always learn something new. Anyway, it's not a coincidence that for Lisa's first post I am choosing something we pretty much agree on, but it's nice for me, and I hope you too, that others feel the same way I do.

Lisa and i don't agree on everything. After all, each of us expresses our own opinions.


Posted by callthatgirl on March 15, 2010

"Many of us today are using Gmail, Google applications, AVG free, etc. Free software is usually great, but the support you get if you need help is usually not up to par. About a month ago, I decided to start using Google documents to store a few files because I needed to have them on 3 computers. I worked on a massive “to do list” and after I was done, I hit the “cut” button to move something and it all disappeared. I could not get it back, even though it had saved just a minute before! I was LIVID to say the least. I had been saving it too for a whole day or so and I’m not sure how easy it is to put in a support ticket to Google and have it checked out for a restore, but decided then and there…to only rely on myself for such needs from now on.
Support is very important when it comes to things you need to use.
Here are my opinions:
  • AVG free is a good product, but not a great product. The download for AVG 9.0 takes a very long time to install (up to 45 minutes) and we see that program on virus infected computers. It works, but I quit recommending it to folks who want free software because it doesn’t work either. Toss up on AVG free!  AVG free offers online FAQ/Knowledge Base and Forum help. No email or phone support that I could find online. If you upgrade to the paid version, then you get the premium support.
  • Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus so far is doing well with the clients who I have recommended using it. Only one client so far has had a problem with “real time protection” and Microsoft will support that issue via chat or email.
  • Google calendar can have glitches that can’t be fixed easily (from what my clients have told me, I am having success using it for now, but am looking at paid alternatives). Again they have the forum/FAQ help, but put in a ticket and wait a few days for help, if they help….Google decides if they support you due to the millions of users.
  • Gmail is not something I am fond of, but many of my networking friends use it frequently and are happy with the product. My problem with Gmail is, what if you woke up one morning and your emails were all gone. Do you have time to wait for Google to figure it out? Who do you call? With Gmail, you have to search their support and help forums first, then put in a ticket and wait a few days. If you’re using Gmail for business (or hotmail, yahoo, etc..) do you have a few days to wait? Business is on the line!"
THANK YOU LISA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment