Thursday, August 5, 2010

Power Outage

I arrived in East Boothbay tonight at 10:45 PM and found that the power was out. My son informed me that power went out around 5 PM. Our cottage was lit by candles. The power came back on at about 11:20. I write this because we have the Time Warner version of their "Triple Play", the bundle that gives us TV, High Speed Internet, and Telephone. I was reminded that the TWC Cable Modem does not have a battery built in for backup. Thus we had no telephone.

I remember back in Vermont that Comcast had an 8 hour battery built in to their Cable Modem. With that one would still be able to make phone calls (in theory a least) with a phone attached to the modem, but I don't think I ever tested that out. Also, I never gave any thought to what kind of phone would work, if any. I guess maybe one of the old handsets. If true it might be a good idea to keep one of them around.

I mention this just as food for thought for all of you. If you are converting to one of the bundles, ask about backup and what else you would have to do to maintain telephone capability in the event of a power failure. I guess a PC directly attached via Cat 5 cable to the modem would work as long as the PC was a laptop running on its own battery.

A simple answer for most of you may be your cell phone, but I always manage to choose places to live that have no cell service available!

No comments:

Post a Comment