Monday, April 23, 2012

Survey: Cobol noose tightening

Hey, maybe I can get a job after all! I happen to know COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language). In the late 60s and early 70s, my early years with IBM, I was contracted out to several IBM customers to write some COBOL programs. COBOL was to most computer shops exactly what its name implies. It was the most common business programming language used in "mainframe" data processing installations. Back then a "mainframe" usually meant an IBM System 360. The 360 was a line of processors that came with lots of flavors, bells and whistles, and assorted necessary features. These were large systems, most of which would fill up a small bedroom, but that would not include the disk drives, tape drives, and printers, so most "DP" installations were huge rooms with raised flooring and A/C.

It turns out that I got pretty good at COBOL programming and even taught the language at Rutgers University in the evenings. So let the world know that, although I am a bit rusty, I could be quickly up and maintaining COBOL code for the next several years (God willing) while the programs get replaced!

I found this article at itworld.com, and you'll find it here:

Survey: Cobol noose tightening




No comments:

Post a Comment