Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Firefox 5.0

I got a pop-up from Mozilla this morning informing me that Firefox 5.0 was available and I was encouraged to download and install it, which I did. The download and install was very simple and quite fast and the resulting product (what I see on my screen) is identical to the old Firefox 4. I am not interested in bells and whistles yet. I just wanted everything to look the same, and it does. Most importantly, my Bookmarks are all there, displayed as a sidebar down the left side of the screen. I guess you could say I am pretty set in my ways, and you'd be right. I am happy with Firefox 5.0.

As an aside, I would probably be happy with Google's Chrome too, but for some strange reason Google is adamant about NOT providing a sidebar for displaying Bookmarks, so a Firefox user I shall remain. I am disappointed to see, as I travel around to your homes or work on your laptops that many of you have Chrome installed, but don't know how it got there or why it was installed and you don't even use it. The answer is pretty simple. Google has paid some companies a lot of money, I imagine, to have them also download and install Chrome when you download and install their product. Be careful and read the fine print when you download programs and make note of what options are pre-selected, usually with a check mark in a box. The good news is that it is easy to get rid of Chome if you don't use it or want it. Just go to your Control Panel and uninstall it.

No comments:

Post a Comment