Friday, June 24, 2011

Rogues, rogues, and more rogues

There seems to be a never-ending stream of new rogue programs every week. I think what is happening is that they come out so fast and get spread so quickly that the anti-virus programs can't keep up with them, and so they slip through. Today I had 2 customer calls where McAfee ($$) failed to protect a system and another system running AVG Free also managed to get infected with yet another new rogue.

Frequently one result of these rogues is that the user cannot access the internet. Also, the more clever rogues will block the usual programs from executing. One solution that seems to work most of the time for me is another free program. I have a new number one favorite tool to fight the rogues. It is SuperAntispyware Portable. I download it at home to a flash or thumb drive and show up at my customer's home or shop, which was the case in one of the 2 calls today, ready to go. I point to my flash drive, click on the icon, and select Open. That's it. No installation. The portable tool goes right to work. Unfortunately, as with so many scanners, the program runs for a long time, but today it did the job for me.

You can download it here and use it on your own machines, although if you are able to, I suggest you favor the full free version of SupreAntispyware that you already have on your system. You do ave it installed already, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment