Friday, December 18, 2009

My new MacBook Pro 17"

So what I did last night was finally bit the bullet and got myself a Mac. Quite a few of my PC customers have switched, and even I had recommended to several that they consider a Mac. I have heard so much good about them, and I wanted to be in a position where I could begin servicing them. Heretofore I have just responded "sorry" when asked if I could help with a Mac problem.

I bought a new MacBook Pro with a 17" screen. For those of you not familiar with the Apple product line, this is a laptop. Here are its specs:

  • 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
  • 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display
  • Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

It is really a slick machine. I played with one at the Apple Store in Natick, MA before making my decision to buy. I always recommend getting hands-on before making your decision.

I still balk at the price. One of my sons replied that you could buy 5 Corollas for the price of a Mercedes! :-) Hmm.... For sometime I will be wondering if I did the right thing.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! How does it compare to the iMac you configured in Nov? Why did you select a laptop instead of a desktop? What activities will you use the MacBook for? What is the OS? This will be very interesting, you discovering Apple and comparing it to a PC and Windows. Please blog about your experiences.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very excited at the time, in November, about the 27" display on the iMac. I saw it the other night, and it is WONDERFUL. However, I had made my mind up recently that I was going to get a laptop because of my current lifestyle. I am on the go much more and away from my desktop, much more that I was even 6 months ago.

    The laptop I have chosen has a 500GB HDD, and I figured that is big enough to be my "home base" machine. "MY DOCUMENTS" now come in around 80GB, so will easily fit on this new laptop. I have committed to making it my new base machine.

    It has Snow Leopard on it. This is the very latest OS from Apple. Compared to the iMac, the price is in the same ballpark. These are not inexpensive machines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom,
    How is your MacBook doing? Do you like it? Please tell us about your new computer!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life is kinda upside down for a while. I have not used the new Mac enough to say much about it.

    I will say this: overall, conceptually, it's just like a PC. You know power it on, install updates from Apple, etc. What I am saying is that it's an iceberg and I have just touched the tip. Sorry not to be able to say more at this time.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete